Don't believe me



“Then the brethren immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Berea. When they arrived, they went into the synagogue of the Jews. These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so.” ~ Acts 17:10-11 NKJV

Any of you who know me personally probably think I’m a person who can be trusted, who knows what she’s talking about. But I’ll warn you right now, don’t believe a word I say.

Without checking it against what God says first, of course.

I think we can learn a thing or two from those people in Berea. They listened eagerly to Paul and Silas, but instead of letting it go in one ear and out the other, they actually took the time and went back to the Scriptures to make sure those guys were getting it right.

Because, let’s face it, we’re all human.

We all make mistakes.

It’s too easy to just let pastors and teachers and other people tell us what the Bible says, instead of actually checking it out ourselves. Some of those people distort God’s Word on purpose to deceive us. But others get it wrong because, like the rest of us, they don’t know it all. No one does except for God. And while the big slips might be obvious (after all, it’s in the Ten Commandments not to lie), other times someone in their sermon or presentation or blog post could make a mistake that’s a lot harder to catch, unless we check what they’re saying against God’s Word.

But don’t take my word on this. Grab your Bible and check it out for yourself; see if I’m right. After all, I know how many times I’ve messed up. And even though I try to be extremely careful, I’m bound to get something wrong (I sure don’t understand everything, and I hope I’m not deluded enough to think it’s impossible for me to mess up).

By the way, if you do find something I got wrong, let me know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Things God Can't Do

Freefalling

God Doesn't Design Cookie Cutter Lives