New Beginnings

I love the week between Christmas and New Year's. I mean, absolutely, positively, LOVE it. It's a week I usually spend cleaning (yeah, I love cleaning, it's weird, you can say it), getting a last few things done, and of course spending time with my family and friends. It's a time of dreaming, planning new goals for the year ahead, and just taking time to realize how far I've come over the past twelve months.

Basically, I love the new start. All the times I failed over the past year are about to be shoved behind me as a brand new year breaks forth. A new year to go places, meet new people, to set new goals and reach them, a chance to try again on the goals I missed the year before.

A new year to grow in my relationship with Jesus Christ. To become more like Him. To know Him better, to learn to trust Him more as He works in my life to bring me to where He wants me to be.

You may have heard about a book in the Bible called Lamentations. It's not preached from a lot, and I haven't heard many devotionals about it. Basically, the prophet Jeremiah wrote it during one of the toughest times in Israel's history. Babylon was decimating the kingdom, Jerusalem was top on the hit list, and the people were in misery.

But even then, they were able to make a comeback. Jeremiah writes: "Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness. 'The Lord is my portion,' says my soul, 'Therefore I hope in Him!'" (Lamentations 3:22-24 NKJV). 

We don't have to wait for a brand new year to make a fresh start. God's mercy and grace towards us are new every morning. No matter what you may be going through, what choices you've made, God can bring you back from it. God can help you start anew, any day, any time. 



Father, thank You for always giving us another chance. Help us in 2015 to grow closer to You and to serve You better. Mold us after Your image. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Things God Can't Do

Freefalling

God Doesn't Design Cookie Cutter Lives